During the Second World War, the Cross of Lorraine became the symbol of resistance against the enemy.
General de Gaulle laid the first stone on 1 August 1948 and it was inaugurated on 10 July 1949.
The monument was originally built in reinforced concrete and stood over 12 metres high.
It was blown up twice in March and September 1981 and provisionally replaced by a wooden cross; a third Cross of Staufen was inaugurateed on 18 June 1986.
Since then it has shone at the entrance to the Thur valley in memory of the flame of the Resistance, evoked in General de Gaulle's Appeal of 18 June 1940.
Access: all year round, follow the red triangle signs from Rue Humberger (there is an explanatory board at the beginning of the street) to Thann - 1 hour walk.
Accessible only on foot (or mountain bike)
Thann-Cernay tourist office : +333 89 37 96 20