The old town, listed as one of the 100 most beautiful detours (Les Plus Beaux Détours de France), stretches mainly around the Saint Thiébaut Collegiate Church, one of the most representative examples of Rhinish gothic architecture in Alsace. Its openwork arrow has been protecting the town and its surrounding areas since 1516.
As you wander aimlessly around the little lanes and streets, the city reveals to you its heritage wealth: 16th century houses, fountains, oriels, 14th and 15th century towers and fortifications, the banks of the Thur… In 20 minutes you can reach the ruins of Engelbourg Castle (Château de l’Engelbourg) and enjoy a stunning view over the Rangen vineyards and the Alsace plain.
A tourist guide map available free-of-charge in your tourist offices describes the remarkable and unusual buildings in the town in detail.
Route accessible all year round
Thann-Cernay tourist office : +333 89 37 96 20
see also :
- Saint-Nicolas chapel’s in Kruth
- Masevaux town centre
- Notre-Dame du Bon Secours chapel’s in Oderen
- The old town of Saint-Amarin
- Museum of the Friends of Thann
- Virgin of Alsace at Niederbruck
- Saint Martin church in Masevaux
- The Roman church of Wattwiller
- The Collegiate Church of Thann
- Masevaux abbey
- The Callinet organ in Mollau
- The ruins of Château du Schlossberg in Kruth
- The ruins of Engelbourg castle in Thann